Sunday, June 21, 2009

Memphis Summers

One of the things we love about summer in Memphis are the lightning bugs. It's very sad that this is our last summer here. I will definitely miss the fireflies. I grew up in New Jersey and had a backyard filled with lightning bugs. Yesterday Rob kept the kids up a little later so that they could catch some. We had to get some pictures of our last Lampyridae Hunt. Sorry for the blur, my cameras kept dieing on me, so I'm pretty sure these three pictures are from three different cameras.

Sean was having a blast. The kids are actually pretty adept at catching those flying flashlights. I remember when I was a kid catching a whole bunch and we were allowed to keep them over night in our jars. That was so magical to have them light up my dark room. Who else did this as a kid, or is this your first time seeing them?

2 comments:

Mike and Wendy said...

I did the same thing as a kid. Especially when we'd come out to my grandma's (which is where we live now.) You wouldn't believe how many there are out her in the country! There is definitely something magical about them, isn't there?

Kendall, Starla, Conner, Aleck, and Jared said...

I am definitely going to miss the fireflys. We didn't have them in good ole Beaver. I love how excited Sean is in that picture!!!