Sunday, October 24, 2010

Birthday getaway







For my birthday, back in September, Rob and I got to stay at a hotel for the night. Thanks to Levi and Kim for watching our kids for two days.


We we able to stay a this four star hotel called the Terceira Mar. It's also known as "the pink hotel" because right next door there is another four star hotel known as "the blue hotel"

For the front it looks pretty small, but the lobby isn't on the first floor it's actually on the top floor. It's built right on the cliff side so all the floors are on the backside.

This is a split picture of the whole hotel. It's way bigger than it seemed from the front.




Alright so the rest of this post will be a little out of order but it doesn't really matter. The hotel has been introduced, you are now at least acquaintances and now we can go on to more personal details and you'll become such good friends that you might want to meet in person some day.


We had to wait for the dinner buffet to start (7 pm!) so we went walking around the grounds and found a walking path. This path started to go down and even had a sign posted to continue at your own risk. Who would turn away from that, we didn't.
At the end of the path was a door and on the other side was the water. Just right there. We walked around on the rocks, I fell and then took some pictures. It wasn't a pretty fall either, it was the kind of fall that you just keep slipping and can't get a foot hold, oh, like on ice. The rocks were really slick with algae and other slick aquatic stuff.


It had to have been low tide because there were a lot of little tide pools and wet rocks



My fingers got all scratched up from the fall, those lava rocks are not smooth at all.


I'm laughing pretty hard in this one. It was right after I couldn't not fall. Rob couldn't get the camera to flash so I was sitting on the rock, with my fingers burning and just laughing.





We went back up top to wait for the sunset and continue to walk to path around the grounds



This is the outdoor pool, which was freezing. It was cool because the sunset kept changing the colors. I took this picture two or three times and they each look really different. The other two are on Facebook, one in my pictures and the other as my profile picture.





Now to the inside. There was an indoor pool and spa. We enjoyed the hot tub for a while and then tried the Turkish spa. It was pretty much a big steam room with, guessing here, eucalyptus leaves on the floor to scent the room. You were supposed to steam for ten minutes and then take a cool shower for five and then back again until you were down. Then finish off with a longer shower. I really liked the steam, it felt so good to just breathe it in. They also had other spa services that we didn't do, like different facial treatments and massages.



This was the main stairwell. The windows went the whole length of the stairs.

Just the view of the outdoor pool area, with a closer view of the castle. It was totally a real castle too. You can take a tour and walk in the old moat and go in a secret door. I definitely want to take the tour another time. Now it's a training facility for their military.



Our room had some neat things I HAD to take pictures of.

A little hotel trash can, set up for recycling. It cut down on how much garbage you could actually fit into the can but it's still a good idea.




I thought this was genius. In order for you lights and air conditioning to work, your key had to be in this slot. So, when you leave the room all your lights and air shut off while you're out of the room. Smart!



Of course there was a bidet. I love me a nice bidet. Most of the homes off base have them also.



We got a romantic package deal, so the room was all decked out with red hearts and candles. Also, while we were at dinner they delivered a fruit basket to our room



This is the view our room had. We were as far down and as far out as possible.



Little table was set up for us, there is a couch sitting there too, so I don't know if the table is usually there because what's the logic in the placement.



Towel swans, bathrobes and more red hearts. The bed looks huge, it was a kind but the pillows were mini. I mean look at them compared to the robes or the phone even. Tiny.



Rob checking out dinner choices. We were the very first ones there and starving at 7.




This is passion fruit jello which was so yummy. My goal is to try and make some myself, we'll see if that ever happens, but if it does I will post it on here.



The next morning we got a continental breakfast in bed. Bread basket, ham and cheese, and orange juice. Yummy!


After we checked out we spent the day in Angra, but I'll save those pictures for later.

I hope you two get along and decide to take it to the next step and meet. If you do, make sure you thank us for introducing the two of you and stop by to tell us all about your date.

1 comment:

Jayme said...

What???? what was up with the last part who are you talking about?? and the bkey thing was in europe too i loved it