Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Can I get $2.50

Alright well Rob's mom has been going to some local auctions for a while now and I have always wanted to go. Finally, with the help of my niece, Alex, who watched my kids, I went to one. I told myself that I wasn't going to buy anything because we are moving soon and have a weight limit for how much we can take with us. Well, I am so excited because not only did I buy a few things but I bought a trunk. This might seems weird to some of you, but I have wanted a trunk for a long, long time. I want it for a table/ottoman/storage container. This one I bid for is perfect for that too. The adrenaline from bidding at an auction is lovely. I hope to go again and may or may not bid (sorry Rob) depending on what treasures are there. The trunk is beat up and I want to fix up real nice. I've seen some who have completely refinished their trunks with new hardware and new stain, but I think on mine I just want to clean it up, polish the metal and fix up the inside. What exactly I'm going to do has not been decided yet. What color to paint it, do I put paper inside or maybe some fabric, how do I polish up rusty hardware? There is so much I need to find out, but I'm excited!!! Here are some pictures of my new favorite piece of furniture.
I already started taking off the paper on the inside, mostly just the paper that was already peeling off. I don't know if I'll worry about the rest of the paper or just paint some primer over the top.

The little pieces of woods on the sides are there to hold the removable shelf. They need to be nailed in a little more securely, if I decide to keep the shelf.



This is the reason I'm not sure if I'll keep the shelf. The kids love climbing in it but the shelf isn't too strong so if I do keep it I definitely need to either make a new one or really reinforce this one. It's currently being held together with hot glue and tape.



A perfect flat top for table/ottoman . When painting I'll only paint those peeling rectangles, but what color? I was thinking a dark, warm brownish red, similar to the color of cherry wood furniture.
The metal could definitely be shined up and polished. I'm excited to see how it turns out.

Oh, and I won the bidding with a bid of $15.00.

2 comments:

Megan said...

That is a beautiful steal. I can't wait to see it when it's all fixed up.

Anonymous said...

I love it! A very cool find indeed. I cannot wait to see what you do with it. Fabric would look cute inside. I hope to go with you to the next one. :)