Monday, August 22, 2011

Birth Story



I love reading the "birth story" so if you do too, here you go.

If you don't already know I was in England for the birth. Since we don't have an American hospital here on Terceira, we have the option to be sent to an Air Force base in England or Germany OR stay and give birth in a Portuguese hospital. For many reasons I chose England and then with the diagnosis of Gestational Diabetes, I was sent a little bit earlier. So from the middle of June until the baby was born I was in a hotel-type room. Alright here we go...

On July 22, I woke up at 3 am for my regular potty break and when I climbed back into bed I noticed I was having slight contractions. So out of curiosity I stayed awake to try and time them. They were really easy, and short contractions so I decided to go back to sleep. I couldn't fall back asleep, mostly because I was distracted by the contractions. So I took some Tylenol and read a book in a warm bath. The contractions didn't stop but neither did they increase in pain or length. After a LONG bath (it was a good book) I got out and toweled off. I notice a very light tinge of blood on the towel and figured that this was the real deal and should start getting ready for the hospital. This is after 4am, and I woke up my Mom and gathered the few last minute things for my bag. We called my "go to" person for our ride to the hospital. It is walking distance, maybe 5 min, but the contractions increased in pain and I didn't really want to walk. We wait outside to be picked up. When her van pulls up I have a big, bad contraction to the point where I couldn't move. So I'm standing in the middle of the road backing up the small amount of traffic there is at 4:30 in the morning on an AF base. I make it in the van, drive around the corner and into the Emergency Room parking lot. My driver (thank goodness) runs in and get the attendants to bring out a wheelchair. I get in pass along all pertinent information and head up the elevator. The labor nurse asks if I can get into the bed on my own, which I do. SIX MINUTES later Zachary Hayes Carlsen is laying at the bottom of the bed. 6lbs. 12oz. in weight 18 1/2 in in length born at 4:51 am. By the time the doctor got there I was just waiting around for a few stitches. I'm very thankful for my Mom being there with me, for Cindy for driving me to the hospital (and everywhere else), and the labor nurse who helped breath and focus because I don't think anyone was expecting it to happen that fast.

Now, he is 1 month old and doing fantastic. I figured I better get this story documented before he get too old.

7 comments:

shauna said...

Dude that is awesome! That just sounds fun to start and have a baby so quick. And it was all in England which just makes it all that much cooler. Congratulations. He looks like a carlsen!

Caryn said...

Wow that's incredible!!!! It makes me think that maybe I can have another baby -- you make it look so easy! I'm glad it went so well. He's a sweetheart! Congrats!

Kendall, Starla, Conner, Aleck, and Jared said...

I am so glad it was a nice easy labor! Short, sweet, and to the point! Congratulations! He is adorable.

Anonymous said...

That's the way to have a baby, mine weren't that fast, but still quicker than some. Love ya, Mom C.

Dan said...

Oh my goodness! That is crazy!
You are amazing. I have no idea how you survived being there alone for so long. At least the delivery went fast and you didn't have too much time to stop and miss Rob.
Give him sweet kisses from me (Zach, not Rob, although you can give him kisses too) Love You!

Lisa said...

WOW! I hear it goes faster and faster with each kid. So glad he made it out okay and that your mom was with you.He's a cutie! Congrats!!

Cindy Lake said...

Such an amazing story! I'm so glad I was able to be there and help you and that we are friends because of it. I will always cherish the years I lived in England and especially for the opportunity to help you and the other ladies there "storknesting" at Lakenheath.