Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Germany-1

Alright, so we took a family trip to Germany and we took more than 400 pictures. Don't worry I won't post ALL of them but in an effort to actually get them posted I'm going do it in different posts. This post is the flight. It was not a normal flight. We were flying to Germany on a C-130 so we were in for a different experience.




From the airport terminal we had to hop on a bus that would take us to our plane. The kids were pretty excited about this.







When Sean saw the buses he said, "I think this is going to be fun!"






Then we got our first glimpse of our plane. It was quite huge! I mean look at it compared to that truck.









This was an inside shot out the back of the plane. The back is open because they were loading our luggage. That is that plastic wrapped bundle. At least we knew our luggage wouldn't get lost.





This was before the engines were started up, I know this because they don't have in their ear plugs. It was quite loud.




We all sat on jump seats that were sideways. In some ways I liked this much better. It gave the illusion of more room even though their was much, much less. The bathroom was down at one end so whenever anyone had to use the facilities they had to squeeze between everyone, all they way down the line. That definitely got annoying. I actually don't think I got a picture of the bathroom. It was just a toilet that they were kind enough to hang up a tarp for us to use as a privacy curtain. When I did need to use the bathroom I was very thankful for the loud noise, or else everyone would hear the gentle tinkle of every patron.




Sean and Vanna did surprisingly well with the noise and with the earplugs. They fell out a few times but it was loud enough that they didn't argue about putting them back in.






We all slept at some time or another. The kids were entertained with the IPAD's and DS's. I was surprised that you could still hear them, but I guess when the sound is piped right into your ear than it works just fine.





We were told that flying on a C-130 would get cold. It was not cold. We had close to 80 people and they had the heater running. Instead of putting on hats, coats and gloves we were taking off as many layers as we could. My long sleeved shirt did not last long.





In this one you can see how little leg room we had between us and the people across the room. Luckily the people directly across from me, Vanna and Sean were Rob and Kaelin, so we could put our legs up next to them if we needed a stretch.



This is my genius. Savanna's head phones kept falling off. It was an inconvenience because 1. she couldn't hear her movie any more and 2. her sound barrier disappeared and it got real loud. So I did some bending and made her headphones work. I was pretty excited that it worked so well. Yeah, me!




At one point I got up to walk around and asked one of the men if they knew where we were. They called through their headsets and found out we were coming up on Paris. I yelled/signed/mouthed over to Rob and he finally understood and came to take a look. With perfect timing he was able to get a picture of the Eiffel Tower and the Arc de Triomphe. Looks like we don't have to make a trip to Paris now. lol, j/k





Well, I hope to get another post done tomorrow and continue one a day until I get them all done. Sean and I are going on a medical trip to Baltimore (ENT dr. appt.) that leaves Sunday, so maybe I'll get all of the Germany trip finished before I leave. Here's hoping.

4 comments:

Dan said...

That is so cool. Once agin I am jealous of all the fun you get to have. I'm impressed with the Paris pics, you can totally tell what they are. Hope the trip was fun.

asheley said...

WOW! It looks like you had quite an adventure. Your pics are really cool, I can't wait for more

Kendall, Starla, Conner, Aleck, and Jared said...

Your trip so far looks pretty fun. Those pictures of Paris are cool!!! That was so lucky for you to get them! Looking forward to the rest of your trip. Your kids are getting way big by the way!

Lisa said...

Wow!! What a crazy flight!! Do y'all fly for free with the military then??? What an awesome trip-take advantage of being in Europe FOR SURE!