Saturday, November 6, 2010

Happy Halloween again???

Happy Halloween, this isn't really a repeat. I don't know how I thought I could wear that much white, as Aphrodite, and stay clean for the night, let alone 10 minutes. So thanks to Lisa's blog, (thanks Lisa) I threw together a 50's house wife, who everyone mistakenly thought was Lucy. I guess with my newly dyed red hair, that is a total possibility. Kaelin said Spongebob was too hot so she changed to a princess riding a horse. Thank goodness we have a lot of dress-up clothes.






The Portuguese locals are allowed to come into base housing to trick-or-treat. The schedule went a little like this. From 5-7:30 the Americans can trick-or-treat, the gates are locked. Then at 7:30 the gates are opened for the Portuguese to come in. When I first heard this I thought, really? We aren't allowed to trick-or-treat together? We were told by many people that there is usually a line waiting to come in and it's quite a crowd. My goal was to get a picture of the line waiting.


Rob lovingly went down to the gate to snap a few pictures. It is a lot of people in line going up the sidewalk and back down the other way, but the thing is... this was taken at 4:00. They don't start until 7:30, so I HAD to go down again, because I knew it would be just get bigger.









Well, it did get bigger. This crowd went up and over the hill and down the other direction. They sent a security guard on a bike around the neighborhood announcing "1 Minute!!!" to make sure everyone was prepared. We walked to our backyard to see if we could watch them come in, when all of a sudden all these kids came running up the streets. They figured that they could just skip the first group of houses to not have to deal with the crowd. We had to run back to the front of the house because they were coming! I felt like we were in some kind of horror, zombie, night of the dead kind of movie.







It was so hectic! There was pushing and crowding. Almost everyone said "trick-or-treat" and "thank-you". Very polite and cute, nothing zombie-like at all. Our candy only lasted 15 min. Then we had to put "Nao ha mais candys" on our door. They all know the word Candy, I thought that was funny. I hope to be better prepared next year, because 12 bags of candy in a 16 quart stock pot just wasn't enough.






4 comments:

The Carlsens said...

Did the locals even dress up? You sure do look cute.

Tina said...

Not all, but more than usual. Most of the costumes were just a mask. The locals that knew more about the tradition dressed up more

Jacque Hadlock said...

That is NUTS! I can't believe that. I guess base is the cool place to trick or treat. Your costumes are all so cute!

Lisa said...

You make a great 50's girl! Love the hair!! And oh my gosh that's a TON of trick or treaters!!! WOW!!! I loved your comparison to the zombie movie-hahaha!! Glad you survived, I would have hated to hear it was death by trick or treaters. ;)