Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Beach Day

We went along with some neighbors to visit the beach for our first time. I'm not used to just packing up and going to the beach so I was excited to go. We went to a beach that was a little more secluded. It is smaller than the more well known beaches and easier to keep an eye on the kids.




Sean was a little skeptical at first. The last beach we went to was in Florida and that was over a year ago! He was definitely nervous about the two inch waves that wash ashore and a little worried about the sand not coming off. It didn't take him too long to start digging in to the sand and having a lot of fun.


Kaelin ran straight in. She had no hesitation and even swam far enough out that another mother was worried that she was too far out. I was worried at first and then she stood up and was only hip deep, but the way she was swimming in it made it look so much deeper. She was playing with all the Portuguese children that were there, trying to figure out the game they were playing. Then, she went to digging. I think our grass-less yard in Memphis taught them how much fun digging in dirt/sand/mud can be. They always revert back to digging.




Savanna was totally weirded out by the sand sticking to her hands and feet. After I told her it was okay she was all about it. She would sit with me in the waves and wait for them to wash up on us and then we would both exclaim "Woah, that was a big wave!"



She was so cute when we first walked over the little dune and could see the water, she started yelling at me, "Mommy, the ocean, the ocean, I see the ocean!" She was so excited to be that close. We live on top of a hill and to get to the commissary (grocery store) or the BX (ultra mini-mini-"Tar-mart" ) or anywhere else on base we have to go down this hill. As soon as you come up over the rise you see the ocean and the kids made up a song that goes a little something like this..."Hey ocean, hey ocean, why are you all alone? Hey ocean, hey ocean why are you all alone out there by yourself, with no friends?" Makes you feel bad for the ocean but I love hearing them be so concerned for the ocean. I mention this because that is why Savanna knows what the ocean is and why she was so thrilled to be close to it.




Savanna, Sean and, as Vanna lovingly calls, our friend "Silly Mia" throwing handfuls of sand into the waves.
The sand kept reminding me of something and I couldn't figure it out and then sitting there in the waves running my hands back and forth through it, it finally dawned on me that it totally reminds me of brownie mix. Weird but true. It looks pretty black in the pictures but its actually dark brown with like yellowy-gold mixed in. The last beach we went to was white sand and now we are on the opposite end.




They were watching the waves come up and it would touch their toes and then they would run away. It wasn't the warmest day or the warmest water.



Kaelin joyfully just running in the water. No one was chasing her, she was just enjoying herself that much.




And after this trip, I went to the BX and bought her a better fitting swim suit. :)





I think we will be visiting the beach and that lonely ocean many more times.

2 comments:

Lisa said...

FUN!! Reminds me of Black Sands beach in Hawaii. How beautiful, I love your pictures!

Dan said...

Have I mentioned how jealous I am of you? I love, love the feet pic at the end!